Sian Jin from Temple University's Department of Computer and Information Sciences is recruiting Ph.D. students starting from Spring 2024 and Fall 2024, in the area of HPC, machine learning, data redcution, and computing systems.
Main Research Areas:
1. High-Performance Computing (HPC)
2. Scientific data analytics & management
3. Data reduction & lossy compression
4. Large-scale machine learning
Dr. Sian Jin will join Temple University's Department of Computer and Information Sciences as an Assistant Professor in the spring semester of 2024. He completed his PhD in 2023 at Indiana University, under the supervision of Prof. Dingwen Tao. He received his bachelor degree in physics from Beijing Normal University in 2018. His research interest falls in High-performance computing (HPC) data reduction & lossy compression for improving the performance for scientific data analytics & management, as well as for large-scale machine learning & deep learning. Within the past five years, he has published over 20 papers in top conferences and journals, including SC, PPoPP, VLDB, ICDE, HPDC, and ICS.
The research and experiments involve interdisciplinary and multi-institutional collaborations, providing students with excellent platforms and facilities. This includes opportunities for collaboration and internships with major national laboratories, as well as deploy research solutions on supercomputers. The funding provided to students will cover tuition, stipends, insurance, expenses related to academic conferences, etc. Sian Jin adopts an open, inclusive, and attentive approach in guiding students, and aims to make progress with students together. The office is located in the newly constructed SERC building and can provide a highly favorable learning and working environment.
About Temple University:
Temple University is a public state-related research university in Philadelphia, Pennsylvania. It is among "R1: Doctoral Universities – Very high research activity”. Temple University ranks 46th among all U.S. public universities and 303th in the U.S. News Global Ranking. It is ranked 76st in CSRankings. The university places emphasis on computer science development and provides a high-performance computing cluster within the department building. There are many influential professors in the department who specialize in the field of computer systems, providing excellent research environment. The location of Temple University, Philadelphia, offers convenient living and transportation options. It is approximately one-and-a-half-hour away from New York City and about two-hour away from Washington, D.C. Additionally, it has easy access to surrounding cities through the train network on the East Coast.
1. The successful candidate should have a solid understanding of computer principles and programming.
3. Passion for science and a willingness to engage in independent learning.
1. The start date for the PhD program is flexible, including but not limited to Spring 2024 and Fall 2024.
2. Interested candidates can contact via email.
3. Please use the email subject line "PhD Application [Spring/Fall] 2024 [Name]."
4. Include in the email: a personal statement (including research experience, interests, and etc.), CV/resume, academic transcripts, and other attachments (not mandatory but can include materials that you think may be helpful).
5. Please combine all materials into a single PDF file in the specified order.
6. Send the email to: sianjin AT iu DOT edu.